What is Biovision ?
BioVision is a communication hub under the Program for Biosafety Systems, East Africa executed in partnership with the Uganda National Council for Science and Technology. This website contributes to a comprehensive biotechnology biosafety communication strategy where the objectives are to:
- Demystify biotechnology,
- Minimize misconception,
- Inform about benefits and potential risks of biotechnology,
- Provide accurate and balanced information about biotechnology,
- Create opportunities for intellectual discourse about biotechnology,
- Producing and broadcasting radio and television materials, and
- Provide key audiences with reliable information resources and databases.
It is expected that information shared on this website will enhance awareness, transparency and fact-based decision making on the technology in East Africa.
What is Biotechnology ?
The Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) defines biotechnology as any technological innovation that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products for specific use.
Status of Agricultural Biotech and Biosafety in East Africa
Conventional procedures of biotechnology are commercially used in the region. Genetic engineering (GE) is already being used at a research and field trial level.
All three countries have ratified the Cartegena Protocol on Biosafety and are in the process of setting up functional biosafety systems